**Volunteer Registration for VMMF 2013 has now closed. If you’d like to be notified of any future volunteer opportunities, including next year’s Vancouver Mini Maker Faire, please click this link.
Vancouver Mini Maker Faire Wants You!
The Vancouver Mini Maker Faire relies on the skills and dedication of its volunteers to ensure a fun time is had by everyone. In addition to the help needed on Mini Maker Faire weekend itself, there are plenty of opportunities for people to get involved in the months leading up to it. We welcome volunteers aged 13 and older, and encourage families to volunteer together.
We ask you to commit at least 4 hours to making this a successful Faire. For pre-event volunteers, this time may be spread over a number of days. On-site volunteers will be scheduled for 4-hour shifts and we request that you be available for at least one 4-hour block. All on-site volunteers will be required to attend an orientation meeting in early May. Orientation meetings will be offered on multiple days to make it easier to accommodate people’s schedules.
- Media Promotion/Blogging – Join the media team to get the word out. Write articles and Maker profiles for our website and to make available for other bloggers
- Sponsorship & Fundraising Team – An event like this doesn’t run on Arduino boards and El Wire. We’re always looking for dedicated people to come up with great ideas and be willing to do what’s needed to make things happen. Working with our Sponsorship Coordinator you’ll establish relationships with organization big and small.
- Promotions – We need to get the word out about Maker Faire and sell tickets! The Street Team will be pounding the pavement and cycling the trails to find the best places to put up event posters and leave postcards. If you like talking to people about MAker Faire, we have a couple of tabling opportunities including at GotCraft and onsite promotions at Playland
- Volunteer & Maker Appreciation Night (aka The Party) – We need a small team of people to organize and run the wrap party, which will NOT be the same weekend as the Mini Maker Faire (yay!) Looking for creative people to plan a fun night.
Photos Courtesy of Blue Rock City Photography
Mini Maker Faire Weekend
- Set Up Crew – We’re back at the PNE Forum this year, which means plenty of hands needed for set up on Friday May 30. You could be setting up tables, putting up signs, working on stage set up, assisting Makers with their load-in, or keeping the coffee pots full.
- Maker & Volunteer Check-In – You’ll be on the front line, assisting Makers & Volunteers when they first arrive. Assist Makers with check in, give them welcome packages, and direct them to their location. Shifts will be available Friday, Saturday, and Sunday.
- Front Gate & Ticketing – You’ll be making that first impression with our guests, selling tickets, confirming advance sales, and acting as the first point of information. Smiles, patience and a sense of humour required!
- Happiness Crews – Some say this is the best job to have at Maker Faire! Happiness crews make sure the Volunteers, Makers, and Performers are well taken care of: bringing food and drink to Volunteers, being on hand to assist Makers, ensuring Performers know where to be at the right time and that they have what they need. People on the Maker Happiness Crew should be comfortable dealing with the public as you may need to cover an exhibit if the Maker needs a short break.
- Stage Crew – This year we’re planning to have a Speakers’ Stage, as well as the Performance Area, and we’ll need techs and stage managers to keep things running smoothly.
- Information Booth – Answer questions from the public regarding the attractions and their locations. May involve acting as a wandering info point throughout the venue.
- Crowd Control & Safety – Help monitor pedestrian flow and give directions. Keep an eye out for unsafe behaviour. Staff the Exit and Re-Entry Gates
- Tear Down Crew – After the fun is over, there’s still work to be done! Assist Makers with load out, take down tables, stage equipment, wind cable, clean up. Will the last person to leave the Forum please turn out the lights?
If you volunteer 4 hours you get:
- a weekend pass for yourself to Maker Faire
- a super spiffy t-shirt
- an invite to the Party
- a plentitude of snacks and beverages on the day you help out at the Faire
- a special discount code to share with friends and family
If you volunteer 8 hours you get:
- all of the above
- an extra weekend pass to give to a friend or family member
Want to Volunteer? *Volunteer registration closesTuesday May 14!*
Click this link or the button over to the right to go to our Volunteer Registration form.
If you have any questions or concerns, please send them to email@example.com.